One thing that dogs love to do is definitely eat and eat and eat! Children tend to be picky eaters while dogs can eat almost anything and everything in sight. Nevertheless, when dogs start to suddenly lose appetite, it can cause great concern for pet owners.
Loss of appetite to dogs contributes to many factors that may alert owners of a possible problem. Common reasons for decrease or lack of appetite for dogs could be the following:
- Too much variety- Sometimes switching food brands frequently can lead to dogs become picky eaters. When a dog’s nose becomes too clever to tell the difference, it would be hard for them to get used to eating only one type of brand.
- Stress- When stress, dogs lead to losing appetite. It may be due to new territory or lost of trust being present in the home, owners showing signs of stress and irritability, moving to a new place or the dog is too nervous to even eat.
- Medication Response-Just like humans, some medications and vaccination were given by the vet can cause loss of appetite as one of the side effects.
- Scrap Feeding-Table scraps are commonly one big solution in reducing food wastage or giving dogs reward for their hard work but it is seldom healthy. It’s just like giving snacks to humans instead of eating vegetables. Some food humans eat may help dogs, unfortunately, most human food is bad for the digestive system of dogs. Here are some examples of food that is very toxic to dogs: Chocolate, grapes, onions, garlic, avocados, and anything with artificial sweeteners.
Another reason for reducing appetite are symptoms of underlying medical problems like:
- Gastric Distress- If dogs vomit and have constant diarrhea, this can increase the chance of losing appetite. It can be due to serious illness, intestinal worms, or swallowed a foreign object.
- Pain when chewing- Same as humans, dogs can also develop very bad and painful mouth sores. Dental problems also can make dogs reluctant to eat or not eat at all.
- Overfeeding-malnutrition is a problem with other owners, some may have overfed their dog. Overfeeding dogs can cause them to have no interest in certain meal times. It is important to remember that treats should not exceed 10 percent of daily calorie intake a day.
Bear in mind that self-medicating and treating dogs condition just like a human being can be very dangerous. For better interventions, always consult a professional’s medical opinion to treat your dog’s lack of appetite safely and correctly.
Using CBD oil for Dogs
Cannabidiol or CBD has greatly influenced the production of appetite-regulating hormones like ghrelin and leptin. Ghrelin is the appetite-stimulating hormone while leptin is responsible for stimulating the sensation of satiety. It is the best solution to help regulate your dog’s appetite with less to no side effects.
Other than that, CBD can help reduce and help treat other symptoms that have led to a loss of appetite. When a dog feels anxious to a sudden change of environment, adjusting to one person or pet then CBD can help calm and reduce such anxieties. Another property CBD has is the anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve pain to dogs who experience irritable bowels.
Dosage and Administration
When a dog loses its appetite, it is very challenging to administer medication including CBD. However, there are many other forms of CBD owners can use such as CBD oil in tincture form that acts as a dropper. It can be administered directly to the dog’s mouth or put in her water dish instead.
Dosage of CBD depends on the size of the dog and how severe the symptoms exhibited. Follow the appropriate dosage that is listed on the packaging. Don’t forget to always ask the vet when in doubt about administering CBD to dogs.